Sunday, November 9, 2008

Is Mythology Making a Comeback?

I was surprised to find that the topic of one of the most popular books to be checked out in the library at sbms, The Lightning Thief, was mythology! When I realized what this book was about, I put it on the top of the list of books to read this year. I am disappointed that it is not on the reading list for this year because I really think that it would make a nice addition to our mythology unit.

If you really liked the Harry Potter series or the Chronicles of Narnia, this may be the book series for you. It has the same type of plot line, the hero's journey, but I would have to say this book has a more trendy vocabulary and moves quite quickly. In comparison, the other books are slow paced. It also helps to understand some of the mythology that we learned last year in sixth grade. If you have forgotten all of that, this could be a fun way for you to "brush up" on your mythology facts.

I started reading this book a few weeks ago and I just can't put it down! The only reason it was not finished in record time is that I promised my youngest daughter that we would read it together. We both LOVE it! So if you are looking for a novel to read, go buy or check out The Lightning Thief. You won't be sorry!

This is how I see it...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this book from the moment i picked it up. This is a very easy reading book and it is full of mythology. I am a fan of mythology and i hope you enjoyed it too

February 23, 2010 at 12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home